These are quick explanatory notes made for an interested student (July 2017), but also relevant to Part 2 of my course. I have been experimenting with joining leaves, using dissolvable fabric and stitch. Images to describe the process follow.
- Two leaves placed between two sheets of dissolvable fabric
- The dissolvable fabric was to be free machine embroidered for a lacy effect, so it needed to be secured within an embroidery frame. The fabric was loosely stitched to some cotton in the frame (because it isn’t big enough to go in the frame on its own). A ‘frame’ was made in the cotton to allow for space to sew the leaves together.
- Once sewn together the leaves and fabric were removed from the frame and the cotton
- wash under the tap
- the dissolvable fabric disappears.
- The finished result. This is very random and quickly done and would have been improved with a smaller machine needle and a coloured cotton in the bobbin.