MMT1 Part 5 Ass. 5; A few odds and ends and a bit of Reflecting.

tyvek2tyvek3

I’ve enjoyed experimenting with Tyvek ‘fabric’ and assumed at the start of this course I might use it a lot.  However only one or two experimental pieces have been made; I have tried to combine it with plaster by using it as part of a fabric sandwich with ballerina net and Liberty Lawn.  The Tyvek was painted with various blues on each side, placed between the lawn and net, and run over with an iron.  The Tyvek melted quicker than the net to show bits of blue lawn underneath.  The plaster pieces were enclosed within the netting.  It doesn’t really work as anything, I just wanted to use Tyvek to be honest.  However, the different melting points of Tyvek and net is interesting to do, the net giving another dimension to the layering.

 

plastic plaster1  plastic plaster2

I tried making a larger tile, about 18″ x 10″, spreading the Sculptamold over a cling film covered glass pane.  Netting made by melting strips of plastic bag together with an iron was placed on top.  It isn’t inspiring but I think it could be sanded down and then perhaps broken up into smaller tiles and sewn back together, very loosely.  This is something I will attempt for Assessment, so for timing reasons I am not handing this in to my Tutor for Part 5 Assignment.

Blue Tyvek_1

This is the Tyvek mentioned in the first sample above.  This photo was taken many months ago during Part 3, when I experimented with making some tiny pots, and also mixed my Sculptamold plaster with blue acrylic paint and added some holes to make ‘buttons’.  Before Assessment I need to find these, and probably use them in a simple sample.  We are required to send absolutely everything we have made in our Assessment package.  I have also been specifically advised in my previous Assessment report to think about presentation, and present a professional looking portfolio.  The process of presenting all these odds and ends of little pieces is a challenge!

A piece of left over Sculptamold wrapped in the outer bits of a garlic bulb, next to a photo of a silver birch tree near my flat.  It is attractive, something to think about for the future.

Air dry plaster patterned with pieces of vintage needlework, and also some cord warapping, just to see how well it works.

First GW poster Newton Abbot_1 Brendan Neiland

This is a railway poster in the Newton  Abbot railway station waiting room.  Here are more horizontal lines with circular holes between the, and more lines of a different type crossing over them.  I could gaze at patterns forever.

Here is a selection of Tyvek beads made during Part 2.  I notice I’ve arranged them in a similar way to my baseball stitch pieces, and these could be made into a larger sculptural piece.  They are displayed next to a photo I took in the Bath Fashion Museum of some  on the front panel of a dress with inverted pleats (I think this is the technique ..). Once everything has been sent away for Assessment I plan to work my way through parts of the book by Colett Wolff, The Art of Manipulating Fabric (1) to achieve some of these sewing skills.  I could have done more of this in Part One, but was keen to get on with some art, without properly understanding this, too, is art.

(1)  Wolff, C. The Art of Manipulating Fabric.  Krause Publications 1996.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s